MinnSPRA helps connect qualified candidates with professional opportunities in school public relations by posting positions here. If you have a position to post, please email it to Ann Kvaal.
Marketing and Communications Specialist, Senior – Minneapolis Public Schools
Within the MPS Marketing and Communications Department, the Senior Marketing and Communications Specialist engages and informs a diverse population of students, families and staff. Manages the creation of dynamic editorial content and vibrant multimedia across multiple digital platforms, including social media, website and email marketing. Writes, edits and curates content for the District’s employee e-newsletter. Provides training on best practices to MPS department and school personnel responsible for overseeing social media accounts and website content. Regularly collaborates with internal and external partners on messaging, video, design, information technology and development to produce truly innovative digital experiences.
Under general supervision, develops and executes digital and multimedia communications; works with collaborators and community-based organizations utilizing appropriate multimedia tools and strategies to strengthen the District’s reputation and brand.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS — Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class. Employees are required to be in attendance and prepared to begin work at their assigned work location on the specified days and hours. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Maintains, updates, and expands current marketing, communications and information sharing approaches utilizing multiples tools to include digital and social media, as well as other new multimedia platforms.
- Creates and produces a variety of digital and social media, graphic and written materials in support of departmental and District-wide activities; produces a variety of materials and formats to support in-house information efforts and external educational and marketing activities.
- Brainstorms ideas, suggests appropriate technology to complete marketing tasks, and coordinates with department head to modify campaigns and measure the progress of marketing projects.
- Collaborates with the members of the communications and engagement teams.
- Coordinates planning and implementation of digital and social media projects including scope, goals and deliverables in collaboration with stakeholders.
- Evaluates marketing programs and develops recommendations for changes and improvements; collects and analyzes data;,and develops recommendations to improve marketing quality.
- Supports engagement and outreach efforts.
- Ensures marketing and promotional efforts are on brand and effectively communicating value to customers.
- Contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of the Office of Communications, Engagement & External Affairs customer service by offering suggestions and directing/participating as an active member of a work team.
- Presents recommendations and ideas to leadership to drive strategic decision-making.
- Demonstrates courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with students, clients, visitors, and MPS staff; acts in a manner that promotes a harmonious and effective workplace environment
- Enthusiastically promotes the Superintendent’s goals and priorities in compliance with all policies and procedures.
- Maintain absolute confidentiality of work-related issues, records and MPS information.
Education, Training and Experience Guidelines
Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, public relations, or a closely related field, AND five (5) years of experience in marketing, specifically in education or non-profit; OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience as determined by Human Resources.
- Principles, practices, materials and techniques of digital media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods..
- Principles and techniques of preparing effective written informational or educational materials, including web technologies and concepts, search engines, landing page design and optimization, tools and trends
- Principles and practices of public relations, marketing, recruitment strategies and public communications.
- Strategic marketing campaigns and marketing analytics.
- The American Disabilities Act to ensure website and digital accessibility compliance
- MPS policies, process and procedures.
- Principles of record keeping, records management, and management of records.
- Customer service principles, protocols, and methods that include responding professionally, effectively, and efficiently to customer service requests.
- Communicating with an equity lens.
- Using computer-aided graphics, desktop publishing hardware and software, and digital and social media.
- Accurately proofing a variety of graphic and written materials.
- Editing and script writing.
- Using initiative and independent judgment within established procedural guidelines.
- Analyzing data and recommending effective solutions.
- Assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and demands.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers, leadership and stakeholders.
- Operating a personal computer utilizing a wide variety of specialized software.
- Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
- Providing effective customer service and dealing tactfully and courteously with the public.
- Understanding and maintaining highest level of confidentiality.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
A valid Minnesota State Driver’s License may be required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
Work is performed in a standard office environment which requires occasionally lifting such articles as file boxes or heavier materials with help from others and/or lifting and carrying light objects frequently. A job in this category may require walking or standing to a significant degree or may involve sitting most of the time with long periods of computer work and heavy phone usage.
Posting open until June 19, 2020