MinnSPRA helps connect qualified candidates with professional opportunities in school public relations by posting positions here. If you have a position to post, please email it to Ann Kvaal.
Communications and Public Relations Assistant – Hopkins PSD
The Communications and Public Relations Assistant provides support to the marketing and communications department, principals and school leaders, and community education staff through writing, social media, and photography.
Duties include, but are not limited to, developing and executing communications campaigns and strategies for the district and individual schools, communication audits, leveraging the District’s social media presence, generating new content and creating campaigns, monitoring social media channels, website training for staff, and troubleshooting and resolving website related issues.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Maintain school and district websites and social media presence.
- Understand website maintenance and tools required for creating, editing and managing web content.
- Oversees content on the website and ensures it meets communication standards and expectations.
- Understand website management including HTML, CSS, and be willing to learn new tools and code as website standards evolve.
- Advance the District’s social media presence, monitors social media accounts, and builds and grows audience.
- Provides social media training to staff who manage building or department social media accounts.
- Scans the digital environment as it relates to Hopkins Public Schools.
- Provides appropriate communication to incoming social media inquiries from the community.
- Understands website analytics and uses this knowledge to inform decisions about website management.
2. Support the communications & public relations, and marketing team, and work with building principals to develop and execute communications/marketing campaigns, goals and strategies for the district and individual schools.
- Generate, write and edit stories for a variety of mediums (website, print, brochures, catalogs, visual, social media, etc.)
- Write media releases and serve as the media liaison backup
- Coordinate research and data collection, including social media analytics to drive marketing decisions and solicit feedback on the integrated marketing communications program
- Serve as a liaison between communications department and buildings and/or departments
- Responsible for monitoring and managing website content
- Support video production
- Take and edit photos for use in District publications, website and social media
- Research and test emerging technologies
- Manage regular features in the District newsletter
- Conduct research-focused communication audits
- Develop and edit graphics for print and web
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Experience writing for different audiences and communications platforms
- Proven writing, editing and proofreading experience at a professional level, and knowledge of AP Style
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite CS6 products (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator)
- Knowledge of and experience working with current trends in social media, i.e: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIN, Instagram, and Vimeo
- Highly skilled in producing strong and effective photos for use in a variety of district mediums
- Ability to provide training sessions in on-to-one and group environments
- A valid driver’s license and ability to travel around the District during the work day
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite
- Photo editing skills
- Knowledge of DSLR camera and other camera equipment
- Knowledge of video production software
- Understanding of media relations
- Experience working with people from different backgrounds and cultures
- Experience with video production and video editing
- Background with journalism, government, technical writing or similar background
EDUCATION / CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Four-year degree in communications, marketing, computer science, technical writing, or related field preferred
- 3-4 years post-secondary education or related experience in communications, marketing, computer science, technical writing, or related field
- 2-3 years professional writing and editing experience and website management
For more information or to apply for this position, please click here.