MinnSPRA awards the following recognitions at its Spring Conference:
- Bruce Bauer New Professional Award
- Presidents Award
- Dawn K. McDowell Award (awarded in even years)
Bruce Bauer New Professional Award
The Bruce Bauer New Professional Award recognizes promising school communications professionals. The scholarship awards up to $1,500 to be used for the registration fee and related expenses to attend the annual NSPRA Seminar. New for 2019, the award recipient will also be registered for the New Professionals Program at NSPRA. Bruce Bauer applicants must be able to attend the pre-seminar program, which will take place Saturday, July 13, from 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. and Sunday, July 14, from 8:30 a.m. – noon. Click here for more information about the program on NSPRA’s website.
The scholarship award honors the memory of Bruce Bauer, past president and member who was lost at an early age but not before making his mark on the organization. Bruce is remembered as an individual who provided exemplary service and dedication to MinnSPRA.
Nominations for this award may be submitted by either MinnSPRA members or school leaders who support/supervise the work of the nominee.
Criteria for the award will include consideration of the following:
- Demonstrate contributions to the organization;
- Possesses skills and abilities to support them as strong members of the organization;
- Demonstrates understanding of quality communications program;
- Have worked in the field of school public relations for less than three years;
- Have not previously attended an NSPRA Seminar and able to attend seminar in July; and
- MinnSPRA member in good standing.
Nominations for this award may be submitted by either MinnSPRA members or school leaders who support/supervise the work of the nominee. 2019 nominations are due by March 15 (extended deadline), 2019 using this nomination form.
- 2017: Ariana Babcock, communications specialist for White Bear Lake Area Schools; and Shawna Carpentier, communications coordinator for Cambridge-Isanti Schools
- 2016: Megan Seeman, video and communications specialist for South Washington County Schools
2019 District Leadership in Communication Award
The District Leadership in Communications Award recognizes an educational leader for outstanding leadership in school public relations and communications. The award highlights the importance of a leader’s role in implementing and supporting an effective communications program. Click here for more information and nomination form.
The Presidents Award is awarded at the discretion of the MinnSPRA President to an individual who has provided special service or support to the President, the Board or the organization.
- 2018: Syreeta Wilkins Oleksowicz, Northeast Metro 916
- 2017: Ann Kvaal, CAE, owner, AK Communications
- 2016: Andrew Hagen, communications specialist for the Wayzata Public Schools.
Dawn K. McDowell Award
Dawn Kay McDowell, APR, was a respected NSPRA member and past NSPRA President who passed away from cancer in January 2006 at the age of 50. Known as a consummate public relations professional who was dedicated to improving communication in public schools, Dawn served as communications coordinator in school systems in Minnesota before moving to Toronto, Canada, where she transitioned into corporate public relations, eventually serving as executive vice president and managing director of GPC International. She was a loyal colleague, friend and mentor to many MinnSPRA and NSPRA members and remained an active and supportive member of NSPRA throughout her career.
This award is given based on the advice of a panel of former Dawn K McDowell award winners during even years. It is the highest honor given by MinnSPRA for a school PR professional who advocates for strategic communication, mentors and counsels others, advances the practice of school PR and places a high value on collegial and professional relationships. In honor of the Dawn K. McDowell Award recipient, MinnSPRA also makes a $250 contribution to the NSPRA Dawn K. McDowell Award Scholarship.
- Susan Brott, APR
- Rick Kaufman, APR
- Judi Mollerus
- Linda Swanson
- Nancy Kracke
- Bob Noyed, APR
- Mary Olson, APR
- Janet Swiecichowski, APR
- Barb Nicol, APR
View the People Award Winners from 2014.
MinnSPRA continues work to improve the annual Star Awards. Please check back to this page in the future and watch for updates in the monthly MinnSPRA President’s e-Newsletters.