MinnSPRA awards the following recognitions at its Spring Conference:
- New Professional Award
- Presidents Award
- Dawn K. McDowell Award (awarded in even years)
New Professional Award
The New Professional Award recognizes promising school communications professionals.
This scholarships award provides up to $1,500 to be used for the registration fee and related expenses to attend the annual NSPRA Seminar from July 17-20, 2022, at the Sheraton Grand Chicago Hotel. The award recipient will also be registered for the New Professionals Program. Award applicants must attend this program.
Nominations for this award may be submitted by either MinnSPRA members or school leaders who support/supervise the work of the nominee.
Criteria for the award will include consideration of the following:
- Demonstrate contributions to the organization;
- Possesses skills and abilities to support them as strong members of the organization;
- Demonstrates understanding of quality communications program;
- Have worked in the field of school public relations for less than three years;
- Have not previously attended an NSPRA Seminar and able to attend seminar in July; and
- MinnSPRA member in good standing.
Nominations for this award may be submitted by either MinnSPRA members or school leaders who support/supervise the work of the nominee. 2022 nominations are due by March 18, 2022 using this nomination form.
Recent past winners:
- 2021: John Casper, Winona Area Public Schools
- 2021: Jennifer Bock, SouthWest Metro Intermediate District 288
- 2019: Mary Cornelius, Minnetonka Public Schools
2022 District Leadership in Communication Award
The District Leadership in Communications Award recognizes an educational leader for outstanding leadership in school public relations and communications. The award highlights the importance of a leader’s role in implementing and supporting an effective communications program. 2022 nominations are due by March 18, 2022 click here for more information and nomination form.
The Presidents Award is awarded at the discretion of the MinnSPRA President to an individual who has provided special service or support to the President, the Board or the organization.
- 2021: Lyssa Campbell, APR, Orono Schools
- 2019: Amy Trombley, United Way of Central Minnesota
- 2018: Syreeta Wilkins Oleksowicz, Northeast Metro 916
- 2017: Ann Kvaal, CAE, owner, AK Communications
- 2016: Andrew Hagen, communications specialist for the Wayzata Public Schools.
Dawn K. McDowell Award
Dawn Kay McDowell, APR, was a respected NSPRA member and past NSPRA President who passed away from cancer in January 2006 at the age of 50. Known as a consummate public relations professional who was dedicated to improving communication in public schools, Dawn served as communications coordinator in school systems in Minnesota before moving to Toronto, Canada, where she transitioned into corporate public relations, eventually serving as executive vice president and managing director of GPC International. She was a loyal colleague, friend and mentor to many MinnSPRA and NSPRA members and remained an active and supportive member of NSPRA throughout her career.
This award is given based on the advice of a panel of former Dawn K McDowell award winners during even years. It is the highest honor given by MinnSPRA for a school PR professional who advocates for strategic communication, mentors and counsels others, advances the practice of school PR and places a high value on collegial and professional relationships. In honor of the Dawn K. McDowell Award recipient, MinnSPRA also makes a $250 contribution to the NSPRA Dawn K. McDowell Award Scholarship.
- Barbara Olson, APR
- Susan Brott, APR
- Rick Kaufman, APR
- Judi Mollerus
- Linda Swanson
- Nancy Kracke
- Bob Noyed, APR
- Mary Olson, APR
- Janet Swiecichowski, APR
- Barb Nicol, APR
MinnSPRA continues work to improve the annual Star Awards. Please check back to this page in the future and watch for updates in the monthly MinnSPRA President’s e-Newsletters.